So, you’re planning your big trip backpacking 🎒, super exciting right? Well yes, but we also know how stressful the preparation can be; how will all of your clothes fit in your bag? Sorting visas, travel insurance and trying to remember absolutely everything you will need! Well, we’ve seen plenty of lists with what not to forget; camera, passport, wet wipes … but having experienced a few incredible backpacking trips, we found that there was something we always forgot that wasn’t on those lists, so we’ve put together nine crucial, unusual things to remember when you’re packing your bags!
1) ☕️ A ceramic mug ☕ Okay, a weird one you may think … but if you’re travelling in India you will learn that there are no mugs, anywhere! Your hot drink will be served in an even hotter metal cup, which is impossible to hold! This was more for when we were volunteering so we weren’t travelling around with the mug, but we’re sure if you wrap it in a pair of socks it will survive!
2) 💁🏽 One for the girls ; Tampons! 💁🏼 If you haven’t been to Asia before you won’t even think of this but buying tampons is not an option – in most countries we couldn’t find them anywhere … seriously. It was such a pain as it meant at certain times of the month H couldn’t swim etc, not ideal when you’re in paradise!
3) 👂 Ear plugs 👂🏽 This may seem like an obvious one, but apparently we forgot! For all of those crazy nights in hostels when you just want a bit of shut eye, we could have really done with a pair of these!
4) 🎧 Headphone splitters 🎧 Saving space meant we only packed one iPad and for those long sleeper journeys we had to take it in turns to watch downloaded movies. For our second trip we invested in a headphone splitter so we could both watch on the go, and it was a million times better!
5) 🏥 First Aid Kit ⛑ Again this might seem a little bit obvious but we were getting seriously annoyed with the amount of people asking for something from our first aid box that K’s brother and sister in-law very kindly put together for us before our big trip. We had everything, from antiseptic wipes to diarrhoea tablets, trust us, at some point you will need everything!
6) 💩 Toilet roll 💩 Another Asian thing but tell us something more essential than toilet roll and we’ll tell you you’re lying. Most toilets do not have any toilet roll, you may be able to master the squatting but the bum gun requires an element of skill not everyone possesses! ALWAYS have toilet roll on you and pick up as much as you can, when you can … you’ll thank us later!
7) 🍵 Nescafe Cappuccino sachets 🍵 Whilst backpacking we found that some countries served up delicious coffee, however others were completely slacking, too sweet, too strong, no milk, we so often just couldn’t find coffee that we enjoyed. When we went back to India to volunteer we packed plenty of little sachets and they were life savers, most hostels/hotels will provide a kettle, and then you’re good to go!
8) 🔊 Bluetooth speaker 🎼 We didn’t take a speaker for the first year we spent travelling, however we did on our second trip and we can’t believe we ever lived without one! We had it on constantly and added a bit of soul to those evening’s when you’re kicking back with a cool Kingfisher (or alternative international beer🍺)
9) 🙋🏾♂️One for the lads; a sarong 🙋🏼♂️ This is probably something most girls will pack anyway, but boys … we bet you’ve never considered packing a sarong! In Asia you will visit more temples than you can count and most of them require you to cover your legs. This means no shorts and it’s always far too hot for jeans! Save a bit of money and pack a sarong, they’re often overpriced outside the temples.
So there you have it! Happy Travels guys! ✌🏽